Things You Can Clean in the Washing Machine, Pt. 1February 15, 2019
Seven Mistakes Made While Cleaning the BathroomMay 28, 2019
Did you know that your washing machine can clean more than just clothes? Here are seven items around your house that can be cleaned in the washing machine.
- Backpacks and lunch boxes. After removing any crumbs or debris from pockets and/or crevices, place the backpack or lunch box into a pillowcase and wash on the gentle cycle with cold water and a small amount of gentle detergent; allow to air dry.
- Yoga mats. Wash once a month without using detergent or any other kind of soap. Afterward, place the mat into your dryer and set the temperature on medium to high heat.
- Bath mats and small rugs. Before washing, take the mats or rugs outside and shake them, removing loose dirt and debris. Add to the washing machine, along with a few bath towels to balance the load. Set to the cold-wash delicate cycle and then add half of the normal amount of detergent. Allow the mats and rugs to air dry.
- Re-usable grocery bags. Canvas bags come into contact with fruits and veggies, so they’re going to need cleaning often. Throw them into the washer and set to a hot water regular/normal cycle with the recommended amount of detergent. Place into the dryer afterward.
- Sports gear. Knee pads, elbow pads, shoulder pads, shin guards, and gloves should all be washed at least once a month. Before washing, close all Velcro closures and place in laundry bags. Add to the washer along with half of the normal amount of gentle detergent. Wash on a regular cycle.
- Pet bedding. Remove the cover and place into the washing machine; wash in cold water and with regular detergent. To clean the foam piece, fill your tub halfway with warm water. Add a scoop of detergent and sink the foam piece of the bed into the soapy water. Empty the soapy water and refill with clean water. Rinse the foam portion and allow to air dry.
- Gym bags. If you think about it, it makes sense as to why these would need to be washed – your dirty, sweaty, smelly clothes have been on the inside while all of the germs from the locker room of the gym have been collected on the outside. Empty all pocket and wash on a cold water gentle cycle.